The North East’s Top Divorce and Family Law Specialist, Lucinda Connell comments that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet” – so exclaimed the eponymous star crossed lover Juliet in William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.

However, it can often be difficult to separate a surname from a sense of identity and the feeling of being part of a family unit.

Our solicitor, Rebecca, had to tackle this issue when she recently got married. Should she keep her surname or take that of her husband? As our observant readers may have noticed she has decided to keep her maiden name for work so she enjoys a duel identity – although thankfully not reminiscent of that of Jekyll and Hyde!

This is also an issue which affects women who are separated from or divorcing their spouse.  Some feel strongly that they wish to return to their maiden name, whereas others – particularly those who have been married for many years or have children – choose to keep their married surname as it is part of their family identity.

For those wishing to revert to a maiden name the easiest way to do this is by executing a Change of Name Deed, sometimes referred to as a Deed Poll.  This document records the fact that the married name is being relinquished and in future the person’s maiden name shall be adopted.

The Change of Name Deed can then be sent to all organisations holding records that need to be updated.  Some of the more significant organisations are as follows:-

  • HMRC
  • Passport Office
  • DVLA
  • Banks/Building Societies
  • Credit card/loan providers
  • HM Land Registry (if you own land or property)
  • Utility services
  • Local Authority
  • DWP (if you are entitled to benefits)
  • Pension providers
  • Royal Mail

We can assist you with the preparation of a Change of Name Deed and we offer a fixed fee for this service.  If you would like to know more please contact us to discuss.