In the course of dealing with the financial aspects of the end of a marriage or civil partnership, there may be circumstances where early action is required to protect matrimonial assets or to provide temporary financial support whilst the financial matters are dealt with substantively. These are called Emergency Orders

Emergency Orders are very specific measures that our specialist family solicitors are experienced in. Major Family Law can advise and represent you in the appropriate circumstances. We offer a low cost and expert service in all situations. We know that legal matters around finances are sensitive and so we offer an extremely cost-effective service to the entire north east.

If there is a real risk of the other party disposing of or otherwise dissipating assets before a Financial Order can be made within matrimonial proceedings, then it is possible to apply for a Freezing Order (formerly called a mareva injunction).

A Freezing Order can be made in respect of assets within England & Wales and assets situated abroad (known as a Worldwide Freezing Order).

The application is usually made on an emergency basis without giving prior notice to the other party. The terms of the Order will be on an interim basis, usually until the matter can be brought back before the Court for a decision.

Any breach of the Freezing Order may lead to committal proceedings for contempt of court.

All types of assets can be frozen including bank accounts, shares, bonds, vehicles and land. The assets may be owned solely by the respondent or jointly with another and an Order may also be obtained against a third party who holds assets on the respondent’s behalf.

For your free 45-minute consultation with the best boutique family law firm in the north east, click the button below and arrange a call with our expert team today.